Friday, March 9, 2007

The Albatross!

To make a double eagle on a par five is a feat that many golfers never achieve. This feat is twice as hard as a hole in one. You first have to hit a tee shot that gives you a chance to reach a par five green in two. Then you must strike your second shot in a manner that it goes into the hole. Thus scoring a TWO on a FIVE par. Sound easy?

Well I have witnessed three in my golfing career. One was Rob Little's 3wood from 240 yards out on old #14 at Roanoke Country Club. We were playing through a five some that was on the green at the time. What are those odds? The second was at Blue Hills Golf Club on #13. Rico Rourk (my golfing brother-in-law) hit a 5iron in from about 200 yards. Everyone on the course heard that one.

Now the third one was on #17 at Countryside Golf Course just this past Saturday.Oddly enough my brother-in-law hit this one too. Rico hit driver/7iron into the hole. We never saw it go into the cup. But as I walked to green, then up to the edge. I peeked in and there it was. Needless to say everyone heard that one too. Congratulations Rico! I'm glad we made the bets we did that day.

1 comment: