Monday, May 14, 2007

It Just a Number


This past weekend I played in a two day event at Countryside Golf Course. It was the first weekend available to attempt to qualify for the Roanoke Valley Golf Hall of Fame Tournament. We had to play two rounds of golf and the total of the rounds were your score to qualify for the ten man team to represent our club in the tournament. The tournament is a three day event at Hunting Hills, Hidden Valley, and Waterfront Country Clubs. It is a team and individual event to be played from June 8-10th. Nine spots were available since our 2006 Club Champion is exempt. You usually have to shoot 160 to make the team. I shot 77-79 for a total of 156. I am currently fifth with five left to qualify this week. Baring no one else is allowed to sign up after the past deadline, I am mathematically safe.

What a relief! After making an 8 on the eighth hole of the tournament I could have starting packing it in early. I tightened up and finished with a good round on Saturday. Going out with a 38 on the front nine Sunday I felt pretty good. That's when little things start to happen. You start thinking about the number. Three straight bogies on 10,11,12. A great par on 13, lobing a shot out of the knee high rough on 17 to a back right pin. A bogey on 14, a double bogey on 15. Wait a minute don't tell me you are going to blow this thing! After watching two competitors hit it in the water on the tough 16th par three, I punched a 7 iron to about 10 feet. MADE IT! BIRDIE! I then snapped hooked my tee shot on the 17th. It hit a tree and kicked out of the the hazard. I hit it into the bunker short of the green. UP and DOWN! ANOTHER BIRDIE! Finally some breathing room. I wish I could say I finished strong but I made yet another double bogey on the 18th. ( note to self: When up by two or three shots don't hit driver of the 18th tee ever again. )

What a game!

4 comments:

Tim said...

Awesome job!

Tim said...

Nice photos by the way.

Tim said...

Good run this morning the Bill

Tim said...

Welcome.